Chicken & Sauce:
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken (approx. 3 chicken breasts….I used 2)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (1-14.5oz can Swanson’s)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 3-4 carrots, peeled & sliced (1 cup)
- 2-3 stalks celery, chopped (1/2 cup, but I used 1 cup)
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup frozen peas (I used 1 cup, b/c I like vegetables)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 Tbsp butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes & chilled
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream (or milk is just fine, I use skim)
- Simmer chicken in broth in a large pot; cook till just done, about 10-12 minutes. (If you plan in advance you can slow cook in crockpot high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours.) Transfer chicken to a medium bowl. Pour broth through fine-mesh strainer into a liquid measuring cup & reserve. Save empty pot for later.
- Preheat oven to 400*F. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, & cayenne. Sprinkle the chilled butter pieces over the top of the flour. Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. (I used my Ninja Kitchen System on the dough setting, but you can use a food processor too & pulse until desired texture.)
- Stir in Parmesan cheese. Add the cream (or milk) & stir until just combined. Crumble the mixture into irregularly shaped pieces onto a baking sheet lined with parchment/wax paper (I actually find it easiest to use scissors & cut off chunks.) Bake the crumble topping until fragrant & starting to brown, about 15 minutes, tossing halfway through. Set aside.
- For the filling, heat the olive oil in the now-empty pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, a little salt & pepper. Cover & cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 5 minutes. While the vegetables are cooking, shred/cube the chicken into small bite-size pieces. Transfer the cooked vegetables to the bowl with the chicken; set aside.
- Over medium heat melt butter in the empty pot. Stir in the flour & cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in the reserved chicken broth & milk. Bring to a simmer & stir occasionally until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes, taking care not to burn the bottom. Add 1/2 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp pepper. Remove from the heat & stir in the chicken, vegetables, & peas into the sauce.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9×13 pan. Scatter the crumble topping evenly over the filling. Bake at 400*F until the topping is well browned, & filling is bubbling, about 15-20 minutes. Let the casserole stand for 10 minutes before serving.